Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Secrets that Sell Alpacas - #1

People are always asking me how to sell alpacas, so I will be posting tips on my blog.

If you want to sell some alpacas, first of all, take a deep breath and look at the picture on the right. These guys really sell themselves. A big part of your sales job is done by the alpacas themselves. No need to hard sell anyone or feel like a slimy used car salesman.

You just have to get people to your farm to see these cuties. How do we do that? Join AOBA and participate in the Farm & Ranch Guide Program. If you live in a state with a moderate number of alpaca farms, just a listing and maybe a 1/3 page ad will suffice. If you live in a state highly populated with alpacas you may have to spend a bit more to get noticed. The Farm and Ranch Guide will get people (qualified leads even) to call you or at least check out your website.

When people contact you, invite them to your farm. Tell them about your alpaca experience and what the animals have done for you (emotionally, financially, etc). Stick with the positive. This is not the time to talk about Fluffy's expensive vet trip. (I can never do this, I always wind up telling visitors tragic stories. I'm slapping myself on the wrist as I type) When they are at your farm, have them fill out a guest book or something that gives you their name, address, and email address. Be sure to ask permission to email them. You don't want them to think you're a spammer.

It's always nice to follow up a visit with a thank-you note. (I don't always remember to do this, but I should. more wrist slapping) If not, then call and follow-up in a few days to see if they have any more questions. There have been several instances where I have sold alpacas to people who told me, a) "You were the only person who contacted us after we visited them", and b) "No one else called us back."

Secret #1: Participate in the Farm & Ranch Guide (and Return Interested Parties phone calls!)

Addition to Secret #1: Visit the Alpaca Livestock Company for more info on participating in the Farm & Ranch Guide.

No comments: